Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Eye Update!

We went to the eye doctor today after our month long break and we got great news! Jackson's eyes are fully mature and both look great! This means our next appointment is 3 months away and we are finally finished with those terrible, painful eye exams! Now we will just go back to check his vision, which only involves drops and light! I have never actually watched what they do to his eyes- I always walked out of the room when he was in the NICU and they've always advised me to close my eyes even though I am holding him since we have been visitng the office. I do know it involves little clips that look like paper clips that hold his eyes open and the object of the exam is to look at the back of his eyes- sounds awful, right? It is always the longest three minutes of my life. Luckily today was our last one!!! Dr. Hoenhn also checked Jackson's vision today for the first time. She said he seems to be a little nearsighted, but nothing that would require glasses! This can get better or worse- like any normal persons eyes- so that is why we will continue to go back every few months. We feel extremely blessed to get such amazing news! Merry Christmas to mommy!
Jackson also became an eye model for the second time today. I guess I forgot to talk about this after our last appointment. We see two doctors every time we go for a check-up. The first one, a guy from Australia, is more concerned with the strength and alignment of Jackson's eyes. He also teaches at UT, and has become obsessed with Jackson's big baby blues! He always performs some test using light and prisms and he asked last month if he could video Jackson's reaction. I told him that was fine as long as he wasn't using Jackson as an example of what your eyes shouldn't do! Agreeing to this turned our hour long appointment into a two hour appointment. Mom was with us last time- he had her holding the light while he held the prism and a huge camera. Today he said Jackson's eyes were even better and he wanted to film him again. I couldn't say no even though I really wanted to. He also let me see the video he made from our last appointment. You see Jackson's entire face- big blue pacifier in his mouth- and all you hear is him angrily mumbling the entire time. This of course melted my heart- when most people would be laughing hysterically. Luckily- Mr. Australia is going back home for a few months so hopefully our next appointment won't take quite as long!
We go get Jackson's 3rd RSV shot tomorrow (poor baby) so I should have a weight update!

No comments:

Post a Comment